Tonight was one of those nights when I got home from work and wanted to EAT EVERYTHING IN THE HOUSE. I was famished. Sometimes, when I am crazy hungry, I start combining foods that don't even go together just so I can eat everything I want to eat. I love cooking, and sometimes I get overly... creative. Well surprisingly, that worked in my favor tonight. And thus was born, "The Best Chicken Quesadilla You Will Ever Make". Really, it was heavenly. And I'm not just saying that because I was starving and anything would've tasted good.. No, this was gourmet you guys.
I'm going to share the recipe that I made up with you. Because it is very important to me that you get the privilege of tasting this amazing quesadilla for yourself! Plus, it's reallllly easy. You can do it!
The Best Chicken Quesadilla You Will Ever Make
AKA The Cottage Cheese Quesadilla
*Yield: 2 full quesadillas
You will need:
2 frying pans (one small/med, one big enough to fit a "soft taco" sized tortilla flat)
a rubber spatula
a cutting board
(These are what I used, but you can add or omit whatever you want to make it as complex or simple as you want. This is the medium version...)
1 10 oz can of chicken breast (save about half of the liquid - DO NOT drain it all!)
1-2 C shredded Mexican cheese (depends on how cheesy you want them)
1 C cottage cheese (This is the secret ingredient! Random, I know, but this is what MAKES it!)
2 sprigs of Cilantro, finely minced
a splash of lemon or lime juice
1/4 C of your favorite salsa
2 Tbsp minced onion
3 Tbsp olive oil
Seasonings to taste: cumin, lemon pepper, chili powder, garlic salt, oregano
- In the smaller frying pan on med/low heat, pour out your canned chicken with half of the liquid you saved and break it up with your spatula.
- Add some olive oil and your spices. It will seem watery, but as it cooks/simmers, it will thicken. Add your lemon/lime juice, salsa, onion and cilantro.
- While that is cooking, lightly coat the bottom of your larger pan with olive oil and heat both sides of your tortillas until they're warm, but not quite toasted-looking.
- In a small bowl, combine your shredded cheese and cottage cheese. Stir together.
- Place one tortilla in your larger pan on med heat. Spread about 1/4 of the cheese mixture onto it, add half of your chicken filling, another layer of your cheese mixture, and another tortilla on top. Once the cheese on the bottom layer is melted enough to hold it together, flip your quesadilla and allow the cheese on the other side to melt. Having cheese on both sides keeps it all together.
- Once both sides are melted and toasty, make the other one, slice them like a pizza, and ENJOY!
Use fresh minced garlic
Add diced bell peppers
Add diced tomatoes
Serve with guacamole
Let me know if you try the recipe.. I want to hear what you think!