Monday, August 20, 2012

Thoughts on Grown Ups


Jacquie Here.

When was the last time someone asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up? That question seems to fizzle away once you’re a twenty-something. When do we make the switch from adolescence to adulthood? Surely it can’t just happen at a certain age for everyone. It’s not like you wake up on your 18th birthday and say, “I’m a grown up now. I know exactly what I want and where I’m going in life”. It’s got to be different for everyone. It doesn’t come with age, but with years. With experiences. With education, knowledge, wisdom. With trial and error. With nineteen different low-paying part-time jobs. With summer romances and heartbreaks. With tiny apartments. I guess at the ripe age of 21, I could maybe be considered a “grown up”. I’ve had my share of crappy jobs, college semesters, heavy trials with their accompanying errors, one or two good heartbreaks, and definitely a couple cramped apartments. But am I really a grown up? As adults, don’t we sometimes want to still ask that century-old question that daunted us as we set out applying to college after college as high school juniors? Of course! And if we’re being honest, we probably all still ask ourselves that every once in a while.




So then, what do I want to be when I grow up, you ask?

I want to be a college graduate. I want to be a high school Spanish teacher. Maybe own a restaurant. That’s the simple answer.

But I’m starting to think that more important that WHAT we want to be when we grow up is WHO we want to be when we grow up.

I want to be a friend, a wife (check!), a mother, a positive role-model, a smiling face, a woman of God, a shoulder to lean on, a good example, a go-with-the-flow-er, a woman with a strong heart and upbeat attitude… I want to be happy. Basically, I want to be exactly like my sister, Sara when I grow up… And she’s only 14! But she has got to be one of the most grown-up people I know. Proof that grown-up-ness certainly doesn’t come with age.

I have a lot of catching up to do before I’m a real-live grown-up.

Stay tuned, because I have a post all about why the Incredible Sara is my favorite grown-up coming next. You’ll want to be her too. Promise.


What do you want to be when you grow up?

Who do you want to be when you grow up?

TELL US.



Out,
Jacquie.




PS – If you’re still reading, and you happen to be interested in a quick update on what the heck I’ve been doing since the wedding…

Jake and I have been living in Houston, TX for his summer job. We just got back into AZ tonight! Being in Texas was a lot of fun – especially because my sister Josie (also another amazing grown-up!), her husband Brady, and their little girl Kendall, were all out there for the same thing. We got to live RIGHT by them and it was a DREAM. The last time Josie and I got to spend that much time together was when we were pre-teens that hated each other. We’ve since made amends and she is truly one of my best friends. And my neice Kendall – OH. MY. GOSH. I die. She is literally the cutest baby I have ever seen. I swear I’m not just being biased. And she’s got a personality to boot. We’re tight. Anyway, being married is a dream. Jake is a sweet, caring, patient husband and we get to have a slumber party every night. I honestly can’t complain! I’ll take spending all-day, every-day being surrounded by people I love anytime. It was pretty sad to leave everyone, and the new friends I’ve made, but I’m excited to get settled in to our own apartment in Mesa.. And to finally get to open wedding gifts! Haha. I know there’s a bright red KitchenAid in my very near future. Eeee!

K, that’s all. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment