Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ode to Sara B

Jacquie Here.

Anyone who knows the least bit about me knows that I. LOVE. MUSIC. I love to listen to it. I love to watch it. I love to read it. I love to play it. I love to sing it. I love to think about it.

If it weren't such a solitary lifestyle, I would totally be a "cave dweller" (as my brother, Shon, calls them) who sat in my basement ALL day and made music. I'm a junkie like that. It's serious. Sometimes when I have a lot going on in my head, I write songs on scratch paper. Then I stick it in my bedside table drawer and do nothing with it. One day, I will pull all those random pages out and do something with them. ONE DAY. This is a subject I could go on and on and on about, really. And I probably will end up doing that right now since I am really great at making these posts a lot more wordy than intended.

Don't you love when you discover an artist and become obsessed with them, then a few years later, people are like, "Hey! Have you heard of this person??" and you're like, "Uh, duh! I knew about them wayyyy long ago and I love them!"
Let's talk about Sara. That's how she was for me.
Yes, we are on first name basis. This is Sara Bareilles. I call her Sara B, cause I can.

Yes, I took this picture. No, it is not zoomed.

Everyone knows that I am obsessed with Sara B. Not in a creepy way. I just LOVE her style and her music and just everything about her. I aspire to be her. You think I'm joking? Ask anyone. I pre-ordered her newest album 3 months in advance and memorized it within a week of its release. At the end of September, I went to her concert in Tempe, AZ. Yes, I drove 2.5 hours, stood in line in the BLISTERING Phoenix heat for 3 hours, then got FRONT & CENTER in the venue. It was UNREAL, I tell you. Worth all the driving and waiting and heat. We made eye contact and she waved at ME. My friends that came with made fun of me cause I almost cried when she walked on stage!

SO ridiculously happy right now. That's HER in the background!

But why do I love Sara B, you ask?
Well, she has an amazing voice, for one. DUH. She's poppy, yet jazzy, yet chill. She has a few really popular trendy songs, but at the same time, she has a lot of "unknowns" (that I know, of course) that are amazing! I recommend you go look for them cause THOSE are what she is really about. She is so good at conveying her feelings in her music. And get this: SHE writes it all! A lost art these days. Gah. And her music is never cliche. She writes in a very creative way that makes me go, "Dang.. I wish I could have thought of that!". She's also super cool. When she would talk to us at her concert, she was so... normal. And funny! I really felt like we were just BFF's having a little chat. Did I mention that this girl is PURE TALENT? Cause she is. She plays the piano, the guitar, the accordion (haha).. you name it. All while she sings. She's a prodigy, I swear it. Also, I really believe that she is a genuinely good person. She doesn't lust toward having all the fame in the world. She's not the kind of person you'll see in the tabloids. She seems like an honest person. She just wants to do what she loves and make people like me happy! She has a sense of humor. And she's REAL. She's not overly perfect, but she's beautiful, nonetheless. She's not fake. She just does what she wants and happens to be very good at it.

And THAT is why I want to be her.
1st Step to Becoming Like Sara B: Buy all of her piano sheet music. DONE.
2nd Step to Becoming Like Sara B: Learn all of her piano sheet music. half DONE.
3rd Step to Becoming Like Sara B: Memorize all of her songs. DONE.
4th Step to Becoming Like Sara B: Find a glittery skirt. Next on my list... haha.
5th Step to Becoming Like Sara B: Sing at an Open Mic or on a street corner. One of the two DONE. Working on the other.

So basically, what I came here to say is this:
If I ever get anywhere with music, I want to be pretty much just like Sara B. (especially her jazziness. I like that.) Also, meeting her would be great too! (See my Top 5 List at the bottom of the blog.)

Sara B., if you're reading this, I love you! I've already told you this before though. Member? At your concert in AZ? "Little" girl in the front wearing a flowery top? Yep, that was me. Can we please sing together? :)

If you haven't heard very much of her stuff, please go look it up now. You will fall in love. I promise. Tell them Jacquie sent you.

Out,
Jacquie.

PS - Today, I am thankful for good, inspiring music. And Sara B.

Tell me what YOU are thankful for today. Please?

2 comments:

  1. i am thankful for the new 2011 year!! :P anyways im happy that im not the only sara fan that really likes her music... anyways your writing is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Roman - Thanks for your comment! Glad you enjoy my blog and Sara B as much as I do! :)

    ReplyDelete